Das Volks Vintage Volkswagen Gruppe

Long Island's source for the aircooled Volkswagen Hobby

new guy here

Tell us who you are, what you do, what you drive, and how you found us!

Re: new guy here

Postby Fahrbomb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Over the last year I've had a number of people tell me to ship in a dry rust free roller from out west because it's expensive to pay a shop to weld if I don't take it on myself.

I've never really considered doing that because if i bought this bastard with the rust it has after seeing it in person, lord knows what i'd get sight unseen. Every so often i get bored and look through craigslist. This popped up and although i'd clearly have to see it in person, a dry rust free roller locally seems a bit of a rarity, no?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/5044237478.html

Please forgive my noobness but how dumb of an idea is it to find a roller and then just try to transfer as many usable parts over? My bug is always on my mind, i'm always trying to formulate the best plan as to what i'm going to do. weld, don't weld, pay a shop, learn it myself etc...Sorry for the ramblings, just like hearing ideas from more experienced folks.

Thanks in advance.
Fahrbomb
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:24 am
First Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 1969
Model: Beetle

Re: new guy here

Postby ObnoxiousBlue » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:46 pm

That's an entirely different car. There isn't many parts that will just move right over from your current car, to that.
User avatar
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1654
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Above ground...
First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Re: new guy here

Postby Raj » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Fahrbomb wrote:Over the last year I've had a number of people tell me to ship in a dry rust free roller from out west because it's expensive to pay a shop to weld if I don't take it on myself.

I've never really considered doing that because if i bought this bastard with the rust it has after seeing it in person, lord knows what i'd get sight unseen. Every so often i get bored and look through craigslist. This popped up and although i'd clearly have to see it in person, a dry rust free roller locally seems a bit of a rarity, no?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/5044237478.html

Please forgive my noobness but how dumb of an idea is it to find a roller and then just try to transfer as many usable parts over? My bug is always on my mind, i'm always trying to formulate the best plan as to what i'm going to do. weld, don't weld, pay a shop, learn it myself etc...Sorry for the ramblings, just like hearing ideas from more experienced folks.

Thanks in advance.


I'll take a stab. Its not a horrible idea to swap everything over... at first. But would you really put a 'rated 7 or 8' parts on a '10' car? Prob not. So you'd go buy the 10 part or close to it.
You wont swap the any other rubber other then rims and tires. Prob a new wire harness. Yeah on the glass.... if the sheild is perfect.
In this case, none of the glass with work as late glass is bigger than the 62. Seats would all be wrong, but might work.

When its all said and done... what are you really using? The motor and trans? If you have unlimited free time ( like some of us did before wife and kids.... ) you may install the 8's and replace later with 10s ( or even 9's ) if time / cash permits.

Overall, yes, you can find a more solid start, but most times you will end up with two 1/2 done cars. Trust me... it happens way too often.

Now, to this car in SI. Watch the channels. Dont know this guy but looks like the car has new channels. Its a very easy way to royally F up a car if not done right. The door gaps can get all misaligned etc. I saw one hack had to even use washers behind the door hinges to get the door to close, bc the channels were so f'ed. You can find local solid cars.... but suggest you be weary of cars with prior owner welding. Also that SI looks like new pans. 'new' pans are hardly the quality of the OG german. Another friend did pans/ channels on his car and drove the crap out of it year round for maybe 8 years. Time for channels / pans again!
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.


MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
User avatar
Raj
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: new guy here

Postby Fahrbomb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Hope I gave you all a shaking your head moment!

And raj you make a lot of sense. The guy with washers behind the door you describe is exactly my fear of what mine may become if I try to take it on, hence the consideration of a roller.
Fahrbomb
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:24 am
First Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 1969
Model: Beetle

Re: new guy here

Postby Raj » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:39 pm

You wont be the 'washer guy' if you ask the right questions and take your time. Based on my limited exposure to you... you are already there, and will be just fine. If you are dead set on 'fixing' this car ( which I deem is really not that in bad shape, and prob nicer then most of mine, mind you). (To keep in perspective.... drove this as is, for years, interstate, and would often haul with my family in it.).

Image

Image

Think of it like this;
1 - you already are nervous about driving the car as is, so its pretty much a non driver in your mind
2 - if you, for some really remote reason, F it up...... then whatever. You have lost nothing except time. Then you go buy a body, and swap over whatever from your car.

My other suggestion, sell the car and buy a solid one..... super solid that meets your needs. Project or runner... or in the middle!
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.


MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
User avatar
Raj
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: new guy here

Postby Fahrbomb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks for the perspective! Did you end up fixing the thing up?
Fahrbomb
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:24 am
First Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 1969
Model: Beetle

Re: new guy here

Postby Glenn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Raj wrote:drove this as is, for years, interstate, and would often haul with my family in it.)

I remember following you to E-town and deciding to back off because it looked like the right rear fender was going to fall off. When I got there and told you, and you "fixed" it with a zip tie.
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine

"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $27,000 raised in 2017
User avatar
Glenn
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
First Name: Glenn
Vehicle Year: 1974
Model: Beetle

Re: new guy here

Postby Raj » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Fahrbomb wrote:Thanks for the perspective! Did you end up fixing the thing up?



Wait. What? It is fixed up! You should have seen it in its before state. I'll find some pics.
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.


MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
User avatar
Raj
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: new guy here

Postby Raj » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Glenn wrote:
Raj wrote:drove this as is, for years, interstate, and would often haul with my family in it.)

I remember following you to E-town and deciding to back off because it looked like the right rear fender was going to fall off. When I got there and told you, and you "fixed" it with a zip tie.



Sounds about right. They work where zippy screws don't. Loved that car.
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.


MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
User avatar
Raj
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: new guy here

Postby Fahrbomb » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:28 pm

:? Sorry, misunderstood. thought you meant you started with worse and did a resto yourself.
Fahrbomb
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:24 am
First Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 1969
Model: Beetle

Re: new guy here

Postby Raj » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:28 am

Fahrbomb wrote::? Sorry, misunderstood. thought you meant you started with worse and did a resto yourself.



I was just playing around with you.....

I have plenty of projects, and that was not one of them that was going to get ' prettied' up. I wanted it super reliable, and super low, and that was it.

Heres the only pics is of it before. Same look, just 13 inches higher in the nose.

Image

So... whats the verdict? You going to cut that rust out and repair?
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.


MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
User avatar
Raj
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: new guy here

Postby Brown » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:24 am

Raj wrote:
Fahrbomb wrote::? Sorry, misunderstood. thought you meant you started with worse and did a resto yourself.



I was just playing around with you.....

I have plenty of projects, and that was not one of them that was going to get ' prettied' up. I wanted it super reliable, and super low, and that was it.

Heres the only pics is of it before. Same look, just 13 inches higher in the nose.

Image

So... whats the verdict? You going to cut that rust out and repair?


You could follow Raj's method of rust removal! Drive the Thing abound and let the rust fall off! I know I've followed that thing around!
"THE BLEEDER"
User avatar
Brown
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: South Shore of Nassau County
First Name: Ken

Re: new guy here

Postby Raj » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Brown wrote: Drive the Thing abound and let the rust fall off! I know I've followed that thing around!


Ken..... that was because you thought you could scrap some of the metal. Unbeknownst to you.... there was no metal left! and 2 brothers doesnt buy rust!
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.


MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
User avatar
Raj
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: new guy here

Postby Brown » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Raj wrote:
Brown wrote: Drive the Thing abound and let the rust fall off! I know I've followed that thing around!


Ken..... that was because you thought you could scrap some of the metal. Unbeknownst to you.... there was no metal left! and 2 brothers doesnt buy rust!


Oh contraire! I've sold plenty of rust to them! Now rust dust that's another story!
"THE BLEEDER"
User avatar
Brown
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: South Shore of Nassau County
First Name: Ken

Re: new guy here

Postby Glenn » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Grade A primo Type 3 right here.

Image
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine

"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $27,000 raised in 2017
User avatar
Glenn
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
First Name: Glenn
Vehicle Year: 1974
Model: Beetle

Re: new guy here

Postby Fahrbomb » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:18 am

Raj wrote:
So... whats the verdict? You going to cut that rust out and repair?


I'm not sure. i have to decide whether or not I'm kidding myself about my ability to do it before I get in more over my head and buy tools, replacement metal etc. I need an inspection next month and am planning to get an estimate or two from some shops on how much they would charge to do it so I can weigh my options. Having not ventured into this realm it would be interesting to get some numbers. If it doesn't pass inspection for whatever reason it will be incentive to decide now. Otherwise I may just goof around with it over the summer and decide in the fall when driving season winds down.
Fahrbomb
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:24 am
First Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 1969
Model: Beetle

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
DVG WebMail Login
cron