Das Volks Vintage Volkswagen Gruppe

Long Island's source for the aircooled Volkswagen Hobby

Hello

Tell us who you are, what you do, what you drive, and how you found us!

Hello

Postby gary haberman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:15 am

Just found this site (been cruising TheSamba for years); nice to see others on LI also in the hobby. I had a '66 bug in college and a 70 ghia in the nineties. I'm retired now and needed to again enjoy driving these simple engineering marvels. I picked up a '62 last year in great shape and am restoring the simple stuff, mostly rubber, glass, plastic and wiring. It's my daily beater (I also have a '86 Jag which I have fallen out of love with). Today I picked up a '66 bug in need of some TLC though on the surface it looks good. Hopefully I'll find someone in my area with whom I can meet and talk "shop". Always have questions and although the internet is a treasure trove of information (not like the old days when I had to buy books, guess or use common sense) but somehow, having a fellow home mechanic around, especially someone has "done it before" would be very helpful!

-Gary
gary haberman

First Name: Gary
Vehicle Year: 1962
Model: Beetle

Re: Hello

Postby Raj » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:30 am

Gary
Is your 62 black with a plate that says something like '62bug'?

Anyway, glad you found us. Im in North mass, but used to live in Farmingdale. We are all pretty local and have a good arsenal of parts and tools if you need. Not to mention a decent array of knowledge that we are always willing to share and expand. This is a great group of people, that enjoy turning wrenches.
Post up some pics of your cars when you get a chance. Would love to see your fleet.
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.

MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
Raj

Postby Glenn » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:31 am

Glad you found us.

Farmingdale is right around the corner from me in Massapequa, I live behind Kohls. If you want to talk shop PM me your phone number and we can meet up.
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine

"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $27,000 raised in 2017
Glenn

First Name: Glenn
Vehicle Year: 1974

Postby ObnoxiousBlue » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Hey Gary!
Welcome to the DVG!
We get together twice a month for our "eating" - meetings without the meeting but with food. Really, dinner.
The second Weds of each month at Houlihan's on 110. You should definitely come out and meet up one month. The winter months are "slower" but we have a good time just the same.
TheSamba is a great site, and we can't compete with it in terms of scale and content. But, what TheSamba doesn't have is local folk to get involved with.
Sometimes it's nice to get off the computer and get out to enjoy the cars with REAL people! LOL

- Mike
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Welcome Gary !

Come to a meeting (eating?) and let us see this beauty, you will find we are a pretty diverse group of people and besides Glenn we are not jackasses. :D
I'm not an air cooled snob , I like them all !

Brown wrote:Tom is right!
Tom

First Name: Tom

Postby gary haberman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:54 pm

My plate is 62BEETLE; my wife, of course, thinks it stupid but I also used to have a 97 MARK 8 with a 97MARK8 plate. Simple car, simple plate. I lucked out with my '62-bought it from a fellow in Tenn who was a Harley mechanic and was very honest about its condition and what he did on it-engine, tranny, brakes all redone. I had to replace the gas tank (he replaced it but it leaked) with one from WW and clean up the wiring (I'm a retired technician so at least I know electronics). Generally, I like WW parts but occasionally, I find that they don't fit right and I either have to modify them or just set them aside for another day. Anyway, this Tenn fellow decided he rather have a pickup so he sold the bug. The '66 I just got looked great in the ad but in person, is a bit of a mess. I'd rather buy a crappy car and restore it but don't have the room (one a one car garage and a four car driveway and 5 cars). My wife's first husband was a car guy and loved mustangs and was always working on one..now that I've caught the bug (oooh...a pun); she's not all that happy.
One question-has anyone tried to register a car without a title-the '66 I just bought only has a bill or sale.
-
gary haberman

First Name: Gary
Vehicle Year: 1962

Postby Glenn » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:05 pm

gary haberman wrote:One question-has anyone tried to register a car without a title-the '66 I just bought only has a bill or sale.
-

In New york you only need a bill of sale.
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine

"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $27,000 raised in 2017
Glenn

First Name: Glenn

Postby Big_kid » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:05 am

72 And earlier in NY didn't have titles IIRC. The owner just signed the back of the registration.

I'm not on LI anymore, but I'll still say "WELCOME ABOARD"!
Charlie in Va Beach (Coram Escapee)
Big_kid

Postby Raj » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:09 am

Glenn wrote:
gary haberman wrote:One question-has anyone tried to register a car without a title-the '66 I just bought only has a bill or sale.
-

In New york you only need a bill of sale.

I dont think this is correct. Pre 73 cars need the signed registration as well, I think.

Deal with it.
Raj

Postby Raj » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:13 am

Gary,
My neighbor ( Ray) told me about your black bug. Been meaning to get over there to say hi, just cant find the time as of yet. I saw him again this weekend and said he was BS'ing with you again. Small world.... Guess 'that guy' is you!

Cant want to see your fleet!

Deal with it.
Raj

Postby AoT » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:31 am

Hey Gary, nice to welcome another ACVW fan, Good luck with your projects.

Audrey
Keep working at it and it gets done!!
AoT

First Name: Audrey

Return to Introduce Yourself!