Das Volks Vintage Volkswagen Gruppe

Long Island's source for the aircooled Volkswagen Hobby

Site Drop

How can we improve the site?

Site Drop

Postby ObnoxiousBlue » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:07 am

You may see the site drop a bit over the next day or so. I hope to have the issues resolved shortly.
Our site and associated content has outpaced the space allocated for us on the server contract so I had to upgrade us to the next plan up.
Unfortunately, while the site will continue to work as it is - neither 1and1 nor phpbb support the forum we use any more. We knew this was coming and the new phpbb (forum software) has been released but is wholy different from what we have here and a fresh install would mean losing alot of our content.
You've likely already noticed that photobucket has stopped third party hosting (lots of photos missing in threads) and we have the photo gallery mod - which is no longer supported.
So, I have to figure out our game plan.
Maybe it needs to be fixed - maybe we just roll with it since we've been relatively low key lately. I dunno...
But if you see the site isn't accessible for periods it is likely I already know.
I just hope we come out on the other side with all our content...
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Re: Site Drop

Postby MrBreeze » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:37 am

This is the DVG forum. We do not tell people how to post here. Go play in the kiddie pool if you don't like it.
MrBreeze

Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Re: Site Drop

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:16 pm

SH!T happens.

For 20+ years I had a sub directory capped /temp when I put many pictures I posted on the Samba and other forums. My hosting company upgraded their server software and you can no longer have directory called /temp... it's a security issue.

So I renamed the directory and lost nothing, but now there are 20+ years of broken links.

The "interweb" sux at times.
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine

"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $27,000 raised in 2017
Glenn

First Name: Glenn
Vehicle Year: 1974
Model: Beetle

Return to Site Feedback