Das Volks Vintage Volkswagen Gruppe

Long Island's source for the aircooled Volkswagen Hobby

Hot start relay

Post your up-keep and general repair routine in here.

Hot start relay

Postby Markus » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:05 am

I always had a bit of a slow start when the engine was already warmed up so i tried out the hot start/low voltage relay that BusDepot sells. It has a Bosch relay and the wiring is all plug and play.

The install was easy once i got the wires through an existing engine compartment grommet. You want to send it through the lower right side of the firewall.

Its best to install the relay inside the engine compartment. I didnt even have to drill a new mounting hole, i just used one of the screws from the voltage regulator to mount the relay on and ground it. The other wires just need to be run to the starter solenoid.

the samba has some negative reviews on using this relay, you know, the purists who say its a band aid and that the real solution is to re wire your entire bus. But, so far so good. it starts right up when its warm. Doesnt seem to affect the cold start.
1979 Deluxe Westfalia FI 2.0
Markus

First Name: MarkusK
Vehicle Year: 1979
Model: Bus

Re: Hot start relay

Postby Glenn » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:21 am

I've had one for years and there is no down side other than my engine starting every time and I have no excuse for not showing up.
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine

"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $26,000 raised in 2019
Glenn

First Name: Glenn
Vehicle Year: 1974
Model: Beetle

Postby Raj » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:49 am

Nice.
Ken brown made me one.... still havent installed it. Its on the list!
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.

MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
Raj

Postby Glenn » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:29 am

Glenn

Glenn

Postby rob711 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:41 pm

I've got one in the box next to the dual resovior master I've yet to install. I figure it can't hurt, less amperage through the 30yr old wiring. I'm pretty sure Santa will bring me a new negative and positive battery cables, hopefully deter some of the odd electrical issues. Now to find the time to install.....
rob711

First Name: rob
Vehicle Year: 1983

Postby ainokea » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:20 pm

I can understand using the hot start relay on the vans but not on type 1 or 3. The slow cranking when the engine is hot should indicate how the chassis expands thus interfering with ground. Many times I had this problem with older bugs, where I worked and solved some by simply connecting a 10 gauge wire from the battery negative post to the starter's bottom mounting stud after cleaning any paint or grime and allowing good metal to metal contact with a ring connector. The 67 and earlier models I just ran a 10 gauge wire from the positive battery post to terminal 30 on the ignition switch. Sometimes a 10 gauge wire was needed from ignition switch terminal 50 and run back to starter terminal 50. Ignition switch 15 / 54 rarely needed replacing. The later models were a bit easier, the circuit # 50 had, in some cases, two plastic connectors, one under the dash or behind the wiring cover under the hood and another plastic shielded connector under the back seat, left side. The male connectors in the plastic cannot be removed and cleaned. Instead Cut the female connectors off and use a butt connector and weather seal it with heat shrink material or tape. You do not have rewire the whole car, I do realize most will argue that a hot start relay will work and they are correct, but, a few strands of wire going from component to power sources will improve the system and won't burn out sometime down the road
ainokea

First Name: vernal
Vehicle Year: 1973

Postby Glenn » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:39 pm

I cleaned and replaced the tranny ground strap and it did not fix the problem. I put in a gear new reduction starter and it did not fix the problem. I ran a wire from the key terminal on the starter through a grommet in the body and when the engine would not start I reached under the rear seat and touched the end of the wire to the positive terminal on the battery... the engine started every time. So have awhile i installed the relay and....

Problem solved.

Next please?
Glenn

Glenn

Return to Maintenance Tips